Anyway, I like to watch portions when I cook a "heavier" meal. So when it comes to lasagna, I like to make "roll ups" instead so everyone has some individual love. This is definitely a lighter version of your typically lasagna, so I hope you love it as much as we all did!
2 Large Portobello Mushrooms
4 Cups Fresh Spinach
1/2 Yellow Onion (large)
1 Package of Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles (12 noodles)
2, 8oz cans Organic Tomato Sauce
1 package of Basil or about 1/2 cup fresh
1 package of herb goat cheese (4 oz)
1 container ricotta cheese (15 oz)
About 1/2 cup sharp Parmesan cheese
5 Garlic Cloves
1 1/4 tablespoons of Oregano
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
Sea Salt + Course Black Pepper to taste
- First you need to boil the noodles following the instructions on the package. Make sure to follow them word by word otherwise the brown rice noodles become soggy!
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees and begin to make the filling. After cleaning the mushrooms, onion, and spinach- chop the mushrooms and onion into 1-2 inch pieces and ribbon cut the spinach (or at least chop down to smaller pieces).
- Once you are finished, in a large stove top pan begin warming the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in the mushrooms and onion and about a 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, 3 grated garlic cloves, basil (sliced), and a 1/2 lemon squeezed. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- (Veggie Filling) Then, you will add in the spinach. *Do not sautee for too long or else the spinach will wilt. Only cook with the spinach for about a minute.
- (Cheese Mixture) Meanwhile for the cheese mixture: In an electric mixer (or you can use a hand mixer), whip together both goat and ricotta cheese. Add in 1/2 tablespoon of course black pepper, 1/2 lemon squeezed, and one egg. Mix on high for about 2 minutes.
- (Sauce) While everything else is prepared, the noodles should still be cooking. While this happens, you will want to mix together your 2 cans of tomato sauce, 3 grated garlic cloves, oregano, and 1/2-1 teaspoon of seal salt on low heat.
- Finally, its time to make your roll ups! First you will want to pour 1/2 the tomato sauce and cover the bottom of a glass baking dish. When you have the cooked noodles, you will want to make sure they are dry. On a cutting board lay each one down one at a time. I use half of a noodle to cover with filling and alternate 1 spoon full of the cheese mixture, one spoon full of the veggie mix, one spoon full on the cheese mixture, and one spoon full of the veggie mix. Then you roll it, trying to keep the mixture from coming out. *There is no right or wrong way as you will see. Have fun with it! It all tastes the same :) Check this video out if you are confused (here).
- Once you have filled your baking dish, pour the rest of the sauce over and grate the Parmesan over the top. I also add small ribbons of spinach for color.
- Loosely cover the lasagna with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then take the foil off and bake another 15 minutes.
Voila! I hope you enjoy!