9.27.2012

Vegtastic!

Spinach Salad with carrots, tomato, avocado, red onion, and topped with a Sunshine Burger (vegetarian, gluten free, soy free). 

After coming home from my trip to Europe, I have been striving to take more animal protein out of my diet.  It's funny, because in the field that I am in, you can read and study everything out there and learn all of the different philosophies on health.  But what it always comes down to is yourself- what feels right for you?  The person that wrote the book most likely doesn't know! ; )

In most westernized nutrition, you learn to have lean animal protein with your meals.  When I was in more of the fitness industry it was "high protein" everything.  Egg whites in the morning, protein shake snack, salad with chicken for lunch, maybe some turkey slices and carrots for another snack, and then fish and veggies for dinner.  While that can be beneficial to some, it can also harmful to others.  I remember looking at some people I would work with thinking, wow- they even look and act like the animal they are eating.  Its true!

My goal for myself and for others is to not look at protein always in regards to animal protein.  Nature has made plenty of nourishing foods high in protein that will give you more than what you need.

And remember, this is not a vegetarianism plug, because I still love my steak!  I'm simply just acknowledging the health benefits this way of eating brings us and striving to incorporate that more into my life.

Vegetarian Perks:  More energy, a more "regular" digestion, glowing skin, weight loss, strong bones, and of course... sparing the animals (my favorite point).  For more information visit: http://www.vrg.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me whatcha think