6.01.2012

Collard Green Tempeh Wrap


Thank goodness it's Friday!  Anyone feeling the same way?  This week has been a great one.  I'm finally starting to figure out my way around Portland and I'm feeling much more settled.  I've also had the chance to do more cooking, which always makes me happy. 

On my drive up to Portland I passed by quite a few stinky (yes I said stinky), run-down cattle farms.  It really put into perspective how important it is to eat grass fed meat and also know where your meat is coming from.  Since that drive, I've somewhat made it a point to eat less animal product.  I still have it everyday, just not with every meal. 

 Here is a great higher protein vegetarian option. I didn't love tempeh when I first tried it, but I must say... it does grow on you!  If you haven't tried it before, give this recipe a go!

Collard Green Tempeh Wrap
Ingredients

1 Large Collard Green Leaf
4 oz. thinly cut tempeh
Handful of red onion sliced
2 Slices (or diced) roma tomato
1/8 Avocado sliced
2 artichoke hearts (I used trader joes canned and diced up)
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 lime squeezed

Directions

Place tempeh over medium heat in a skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Add spices and cook until browned (about 3 minutes each side).

Lightly steam the Collard Leaf until soft.

Remove tempeh and collard from heat. Lay collard leaf flat on a plate and fill with chopped veggies and tempeh squeeze lime juice over all ingredients.

Add fresh salsa inside if you would like and wrap like a burrito!

Enjoy =)

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like tempeh much either at first but steaming it for about 10 minutes really takes the bitterness out of it! Recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete

tell me whatcha think