6.11.2013

Chickpea Salad Sandwich

This weekend I decided to pack lunches for a hike I did. Last time I made a turkey sandwich, by the time we got to the top of the mountain to eat, my sandwich was definitely warm, wilted, and umm- I don't know, something about room temperature lunch meat really creeps me out!

Nothing makes me happier than a sandwich though, so I had to think of a vegan option this time around since it would be sitting in my backpack for a few hours. 

Without further ado, please welcome the simple, yet tasty as ever, chickpea salad sandwich... 




















Why I love chickpeas:

Also known as garbanzo beans, these guys contain phytonutrients and come packed with fiber- specifically insoluble, which is great for your digestive track. They are also high in protein and great for regulating your blood sugar. 

Chickpea Salad Sandwich 

1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1- 2 tbs chopped celery
1 tbs chopped green onion
1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
1/2- 1 tsp. mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Juice from half a lemon
A small drizzle of olive oil
Sea Salt/Pepper to taste

Directions

In a food processer (or you can use a hand smasher)- mix all ingredients, adding the sea salt and pepper last.

You won't want to puree this so leave it as chunky as possible for the best consistency.

Toast some tasty bread and then spread the chickpea salad on one piece, then place the other piece on top. I like to get some more greens in there so I added some spinach in there. Feel free to slice some tomato too!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me whatcha think