7.10.2013

Superfood Trail Mix


Guys! It has been HOT here! This Southern Californian has obviously been pretty spoiled with weather. I also had no idea that Oregon got this hot! Okay, okay... I'm not complaining. I'm just having to get real creative with "keeping cool," considering my house stays roughly 120 degrees when it is 90 out. I'm sure most of y'all can relate!

My outside workouts have been at a new low, but I still find time to make it on hikes each week. Since it has been hot, I always make sure to bring water and a trail mix snack. I personally love making my own trail mix. Store bought ones are getting better, but you don't always control what is in them and they can pack in a lot of calories. Here is why I love putting together this one...

Superfood Trail Mix

Goji berries: Strong source of protein, contain a high amount of antioxidants, and over 20 vitamins and minerals.

Raisins: High energy and low in fat.

Pumpkin Seeds: Antioxidants, and high in magnesium and iron!

Sunflower Seeds: Anti-inflammatory and high levels of magnesium (necessary for healthy bones and energy production).

Cacao Nibs: Contain a substance called theobromine, a central nervous system stimulant that has a similar, stimulating effect as caffeine that will give you a healthy energy boost. They are also great for circulation, being high in flavanols.

Raw Almonds + Raw Walnuts: great for sustaining energy and keeping you full.

This mixture is excellent for a morning or afternoon snack any day of the week as well...

Is it time for a hike already??

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me whatcha think